Sunday, February 22, 2015

Chapter 27: If only I could read your mind: Part 1/3

Sorry it's another 3 part chapter but it makes more sense this way and if I would've combined the POV's it would've been way too long :/ 

The raindrops trickled on my window as I stood by and looked off into the distance, waiting. Even though the window was closed I could still feel the coolness in the air and I could still hear the raindrops hit the ground. Pat! Pat! Pitter-pat! The rhythm of the raindrops felt like a heartbeat as it pounded through my fingertips that were attached to the window.
I was grounded. To make a long story short, the school called and left a message, my uncle found out I ditched school last week. Even though I was grounded, he still saved my ass by writing a note, telling them he forgot to sign me out at attendance. 
I didn't have to sit in detention, but I had to sit in my room all day at home. And to top it all off, I got a random array of pimples that just took over my whole face. I had been wearing makeup all week, trying to hide the repulsive things.
My uncle decided to go the normal, typical route of punishment. "No t.v., no cellphone, no computer, no going out, no visitors." You know, that kind of stuff.
Adrianne had a different response. "No guitar, no singing, no listening to music, and most importantly....No David" I felt like besides talking to David, everything else she told me not to do was pretty ridiculous and spiteful, but hey that's Adrianne for you.
To be honest my uncle just listened to what Adrianne said, he didn't really care, but she insisted he did, claiming I would "Walk all over him," if he didn't care.

Don't get me wrong he was pretty irate because I skipped class, but as far as me smoking pot....Not so much.
Any normal person would've thought that was ridiculous but my uncle saw nothing wrong with his sentiments.
We talked that day and he pretty much told me he wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up snorting cocaine or popping pills in the future. I could still hear his husky laugh thumping in my ears, as I stood there thinking about all of the stories he told me about his adolescent years, I started smirking. I don't think I could compare to him, even if I tried.

I stop thinking about last week and walk up stairs, going into the kitchen to get something to drink.
Adrianne and Croy were standing there talking as he stood behind her with his hands around her waist. "I can't wait to dress it up! What do you think we're having? A boy or a girl?!" She asked as her voice rang with excitement.
"Well, I think we're having a girl-You've changed A LOT, they say girls make women more erratic and random"
Adrianne swung her elbow into his side, and held his chin. "It's only been a week!"
"Yeah, a week from hell!" He laughed his ass off even though she was still looking at him.
This past week they've been all lovey-dovey after she went to the doctors. The doctor told them they could have the baby but they were going to keep the IUD inside her uterus and let everything take its natural course during labor because they didn't want to disrupt the pregnancy and possibly hurt or kill the baby by trying to remove it.

Tonight they were going out to some restaurant because Adrianne loved going out. She claimed that she couldn't stay in the house for too long and she said she liked "Seeing new sights."
Adrianne spun around and kissed Croy on the lips. "Mmm" she hummed while the ends of her lips curved upward.
Croy's eyes twinkled, and he placed his hands on her lower back, about to kiss her but Allyson ruined their moment kind of like Adrianne always ruined all of the family moments...I guess it must've been a gene that ran in their family.
“Yeah, yeah, yeah-get a room!” Allyson said as she jumped up from the couch and patted them both on the back. “Just leave already” She said, hastily as she waved her hands at them as if she were telling a stray animal to ‘shoo.'

                      Adrianne turned away from Croy and looked at her. “Don’t rush us!”
                        Croy chimed in, “Come on Adri, it was just a joke”
                        Adrianne remained steady and looked both me and Allyson in the eye assertively. “I don’t care if it was a joke or not…You girls better go to bed at a reasonable time and there shall be no visitors in this house do you understand?”
                      Me and Allyson looked at each other and spoke in unison. “Yes we understand.”
                        Allyson placed her hands on her hips and tilted her head a little as she narrowed her eyes at Adrianne “Mom, are you trying to say I’m not responsible? I am 18 you know…”
                        Adrianne snickered, as she surveyed Allyson up and down, Croy turned to the sink and finished washing the dishes he had been washing, probably not wanting to be a part of all the drama that was about to start. “Oh please! You are 18 and STILL trying to finish up high school after you decided to be stupid, you’re far from responsible” She straightened her posture again and pointed at me “SHE is grounded…So that means no music, no phone, no t.v., no-“ 

                     Allyson rolled her eyes at Adrianne “Yeah mom I get it okay” She said, with her cheeks all rosy and red. “Just leave”
      Adrianne and Allyson had really been bumping heads this whole week, I was surprised neither of them had a headache by now.
                        “We will leave when we’re ready…” Adrianne said as she walked over to the stair case with Croy and shot a teasing smile at me and Allyson. “If you girls need anything you know you can call us”
                        “Yeah-yeah we’re not babies, mom” Allyson said before plopping back down on the couch.

                      The sound of the door shutting felt so good, I was finally free. I sat down on the couch next to Allyson, glancing at the t.v. screen, she was watching Dr.Phil. “I'm bored what do you want to do? Throw a party?" I said.
                       Allyson squinted her eyes at me as she shot me a weird glance, her intimidating gaze made me feel awkward. “Nothing, I’m going to watch t.v. …You can do whatever you want though.” 

                       She sounded bitter and so defeated, she wasn't being her normal self. What I had said was a joke but clearly she was too hung up on something else to catch it. “Are you alright?”
                        She shifted around on the couch, and sighed. “I’m fine”
                       I tried to rouse her some more by saying “Oh okay well I’m going to watch t.v. with you…I guess.”
                      She didn't laugh, she didn't budge at all- not one muscle shifted in her body. “Okay, watch t.v. …I really don’t care”
                      “What’s wrong with you?!” I said, moving closer to her. “I thought you would be excited about being home alone…” My voice trailed off and almost cracked.
                       Allyson was tired of me prying around in her personal business. “BECAUSE! Okay! My mom was bringing up personal shit I don’t like talking about and now I’m laying here watching this fucked up show about girls and their ‘issues’ ” She said as she rolled her eyes. I could feel the pain in her voice but I didn't know how to react.

                              "Well why are you watching the show if it's making you angry?" I asked, baffled that she would keep watching a show that was clearly only making her more irritated.
          “Because- I DON'T KNOW! There’s nothing else to watch- and I just want to be left alone” She said, angling herself away from me and towards the t.v.
“Okay I guess I’ll leave you alone” I said as I got up from the couch, feeling somewhat embarrassed.
               Allyson nearly gave me a heart attack when she got up and shouted “No!” She paused for a moment. “Don’t go…” She reached her hand out towards me. “I’m sorry- I just…Just sit down okay”
               I sat down on the couch, it was like I bounced on the couch. “It’s okay you don't have to be sorry, I understand you" I said, trying to comfort her even though it probably wasn't helping.
               That past week me and Allyson haven't really spoken to each other. We didn't argue. and we didn't glare at each other, we just sat in silence ever since that night last week. When our eyes met everything slowed down, it was like we had this reticent respect for each other. 

Kind of like the moment we were having now. We sat there on the couch, acknowledging each other respectfully yet not saying a word. “You know sometimes you sound like Dr.Phil?” She said, as she looked from the t.v. and back to me, laughing.
                       “Ewww that’s an insult” I griped.
                      “Yeah it kind of is but at least I didn't say you look like him” She said sarcastically, before she continued.
“That’s not a nice thing to say” I said, narrowing my eyes at her.
               “So?” She shrugged her shoulders before she went off on a rant. "He's not nice. He exploits people's lives on national television, he makes them feel like shit and the worst thing is that he sits there and acts like he knows how they feel. He tries to dictate how they should live THEIR lives." She laughed some more. "Here he is having a show about teenage girls yet he's a grown ass man-on top of that he's not even a certified doctor! Who the fuck does he think he is?"
Clink Clunk! She put her feet on top of the table in front of us, wiggling her pink toes around in the air. She snickered under her breath "He may not be a certified doctor but he is a certified dick head."  She said as her sinister laughter rose.
                    
My eyes zipped straight forward to the t.v. and focused on it. Dr.Phil was wearing a grey suit and black shoes, leaning in his chair as he held a card in his hand. "Well Cristie, the statistics show that young girls like you that have a broken family are more likely to do drugs and participate in sexual activities...Do you think that's why you do some of the things you do?" His voice was odd, it was like a mix between a southerner and some other strange accent.
Cristie adjusted her legs, and looked away from Dr.Phil for a moment as she smirked and looked up at the ceiling. She was about to speak before Allyson ruined the moment.
Click. She turned off the television. "Hey! I wanted to hear what she had to say!" I shouted.
"Too bad, you don't need to hear that shit anyways...It's all bullshit. Look at you- your parents broke up but you're not doing drugs and having sex with every guy that walks your way" She said that as if she was so certain and so sure that I'd never done drugs before...Did weed really count though? I guess it did but either way I didn't think my parents and their issues had anything to do with me putting a joint between my lips.

My cheeks became inflamed as I thought about last week, I couldn't deny the fact that what I did was somewhat fun. It was like I was right there- doing it all over again, and again, and again, and again...And again! David's lips, that bitter smell of weed, the softness of his bed, Cinderella, the chips, his constant teasing, the way my heart was fleeting. Was that really wrong though? Did my parents' divorce have something to do with my attraction towards him? Or was it just some natural irresistible feeling?
It was too bad we hadn't spoken this whole week. He was pretty much in kiss-ass mode every time he saw me. "Do you need help with that? Are you okay? What did I do? Was it something I said?  I can come over and help you study, if you want..."
"HELLO! Earth to Melody!" Allyson shouted in my ear, which made me leap up from the couch and sink back down.
"Huh? What?" I asked, nearly gasping for air.

"I said- his wife probably doesn't give him any!" She was pointing towards the t.v. screen that was black.
"Allyson!" I blurted out, with my eyes nearly falling out of their sockets.
"What? It's the truth" I could hear the pressure of her fingers pushing down on the remote, she turned the t.v. on. "Look at him"
"Allyson- that's very mean and why would you even think about something like that?" I asked as I shot her a gaze full of scrutiny. 

She put her hands up in the air, trying to sustain her innocence. "Woah, woah woah! I am not interested in his dick...BUT...Let's be honest, he wouldn't be making these shows if he was having sex regularly." Her eyes were fixated on the t.v. screen which was now showing various clips of a teenage girl taking pills and fumbling around her house as she was dressed in loose sweat pants and a camisole.
As soon as the clip stopped rolling and the dramatic music stopped humming from the t.v. Allyson continued on with her ridiculous claims. "Look at him, it's obvious he has blue balls"
"You're crazy!" I laughed wildly.
"No I'm not crazy! I'm just stating the truth, half his head is bald...I bet he wishes he was young again, so then he could finally do all the shit he wanted to do back when he had the chance but he realizes he's too old for that now so he sits back and dictates how other people should live their lives"

I didn't say anything, I just kept staring at the t.v. It was like Dr.Phil wasn't even giving the girl any help, Allyson kind of was right...All he did was just exploit people and put them on the spot. "Why did you do it? What made you take drugs? Do you miss your father?" He kept asking the girl that now had her head held down as she was fiddling with her fingers.
Maybe he thought it was a good idea to catechize people until they felt coerced enough to break down on his show. My lips twitched just watching the girl desperately try to answer his questions. "Turn this off, he's pissing me off now" I nearly bit my lip as I said that.
"You see! That's what I hate about him so much..He makes it seem like girls with bad fathers do bad things..Not ALL girls are like that, it pisses me off that I fall into the category of his statistic though" The color vanished from the t.v. and the black screen was the only thing left as she turned it off. She suspired and her eyes leered off to the side in a slant. "I made so many mistakes" It was like someone sprayed water in her eyes, and it was making me slightly uncomfortable.
"You can turn your mistakes into memories that you learned from" I was trying to keep everything steady and calm, I didn't want to shake things up and ruin the motion of the ocean.
"It's too late" She whispered.
"It's never too late" I told her, but for some reason she was being resistant to every positive thing I had to say. It was like she was some water-proof clothing garment, she wasn't letting anything in.
A tear rolled down her cheek as she turned and faced me. "Everything is too late when it comes to life..."

What did she mean by that?  "Everything is too late when it comes to life?" I maundered to myself, still trying to figure out what was the meaning behind her words.
Allyson was gone though, she had disappeared upstairs and left me dazed.
What could make her have so much agony and misery? What could make her have wounds so deep that she felt like they could never be healed?
Everything was like some big secret between Adrianne and Allyson, even my uncle. He still hadn't told me about our little 2am visitor, to make matters even worse-he pretty much acted like nothing ever happened.
I hated secrets, because most of the time they were never good. Secrets were only sugar-coated lies that would soon be discovered. So why not say it like it is before someone licks all that sugar away and tastes the real pungent flavor? The truth.

7 comments:

  1. Nice chapter :) Just found your blog and loving this story! You have a talent for writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks. :) I have a lot of room for improvement lol...I have a ton of bad writing habits but you don't seem to notice or you have and just haven't pointed it out lol but either way...Thanks :) I'm glad you like my story, thanks for reading and commenting. ^_^

      Delete
  2. The ladies (Melody and Allyson) had some interesting thoughts about Dr. Phil. LOL. I enjoyed hearing their perspective about him. Every time I see him I always picture him saying "Now, how does tha-at make youu feeeel?" LOLL. XD I do agree that Dr. Phil, and many other psychologist-type people who think they're helping, regardless of if they know anything about psychology, always tend to put people in a box. People do drugs for lots of reasons, it doesn't always have to be a broken family situation. In my mind, it's usually a broken person situation instead. Like, if the person doing drugs feels like they're worthless for whatever reason, they will turn to something that will make them feel better. Some people use drugs to make them feel better, to escape reality by having a high from the drugs, but plenty of other people who feel broken, do other things, sometimes it's healthy sometimes it's unhealthy. I feel bad for Allyson that she felt like she was getting put in that box Dr. Phil created. I know what it's like to have people look at you and just classify you into what they think. When people don't try to understand you and just make assumptions about you, it's extremely frustrating. I like Allyson and Melody's relationship dynamic now, with the unspoken respect between them. I have a feeling Allyson felt better with Melody because that day, Melody just let her talk. Sometimes all you need is someone to listen and be there, without judgment, which I bet is what Allyson wanted, considering she probably feels judged all the time. Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yeah they said some interesting things about him...Lmao at your quote :P but I definitely agree with you...It's like his job is to judge people to a certain degree. They make a lot of assumptions and I feel like they play mind games with a lot of their patients sometimes. And I agree, not everyone with a broken family is a drug addict...People make choices for themselves, not their families. And I like how you mention that some people turn to positive things to deal with their issues...you rarely see people talk about that these days...They just focus on the negative aspects of things.

      And I guess Allyson does kind of fit the box of his little statistic. And I hate when people just assume things because of looks or the way a person talks, it gets me so pissed off sometimes. Just because a girl wears a flannel, that doesn't mean she's a dike or is a lesbian or something *I heard someone say that* lol but yeah, it's crazy. Allyson and Melody kind of like each other now which is what I would've never expected lol but I guess they're finally starting to understand each other. And Allyson does get judged a lot by her mother but her and her mother kind of have the same issues so idk why they can't just stop arguing with each other and talk it out...

      Side note: I'm always staring at your avatar... ;)

      Delete
  3. Yup. Still adore Allyson. Can't wait to figure her out. :)

    Melody... she's 16. I can only hope she starts to be a nicer person eventually - and stops being so damn entitled all the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I listened to this chapter with a narrator and some of the things the girls said was just to freaking funny. Allyson has no censor and I like that about her. She can say something so inappropriate and uncanny but she doesn't even care, she's just like "Eh, whatever."

      Melody is 15, turning 16 pretty soon so I guess you could just say she's 16. She'll definitely change but for better of worse...I don't know. That girl surprises me all the time :S. It's funny you called her entitled, I can see how you would feel that way about her though lol.

      Delete